Saturday, April 28, 2007

Extra Innings


I used to try to think about
baseball, but realized
that I didn't know enough
about the game to
really concentrate on it.

I have heard that thinking
about yard work can be
effective, but growing
up in California, I have
seen too many bikini-clad
women watering lawns for that
to do much good.

A few years ago, I concocted
the single saddest scenario I
could muster: The cries of the
last kitten alive inside a
burning pet shop.

I can remember feeling
drowned in an absurd emotional
rush and my tears falling
onto my girlfriend's neck
and shoulders. I'm still
haunted by the sight of
her eyes slowly opening,
forming the most tender look
of concern as she
wiped my cheeks with her
gentle palms.

Sometime later she confessed
that was the morning she
realized she loved me, that
my tears were more endearing than
any flower or any gift that
could be bought. I was
moved to finally make peace
with myself. Last Valentine's
day, I bought her a ring and
a kitten, and on a whim I
bought us both season tickets
to the Angels.

T Jordan - 1993

No comments: