Saturday, July 31, 2010

Coffee and a Glee-ful Morning


I'm using a Thermos for my morning coffee now. It can hold seven cups, easily, and keeps my morning elixir piping hot, gulp after searing gulp. For the longest time, I was able to honestly claim that I wasn't a "coffee" kind of guy. Just in the past couple of years though, coffee has become a trusted friend. I still don't feel much of a caffeine rush from it. Perhaps thats because at the age of 22, on a dare (double-dog, to be exact) I ingested 11 No-Doze in one sitting. Forty-six hours later I was still chattering like a prairie dog and unable to hold onto a single thought for more than a nanosecond. The same friend who presented the dare suggested the antidote: malt liquor and lots of it. The roller coaster than ensued was what I now look back upon as "my 20s."

Today, a couple of cups of coffee simply seem comforting to me - a morning ritual that I've come to enjoy and expect. Back in the day, my dad would sit with his coffee, a cigarette, and the morning paper, which he had worked on the day before as a copy editor. These days for me, it's just coffee and the billions of pages of interweb screaming to be explored. Or, as is the case this morning, a long-overdue blog post.

I've had the song, "Say a Little Prayer" stuck in my head since I rediscovered the Wes Montgomery version a couple weeks ago. Instead of purging the song from my mind though, I listen to his version as often as I find time. This reinforces its rotation frequency in my mental juke box playlist, and I end up humming the tune while driving, in elevators, at my desk at work, showering. I heard it again last week on a "Glee" rerun and now I have to buy their version. Turns out that the powers that Glee have licensed their songs to a number of other singing groups, who have in-turn produced their own "tribute" albums and versions of Glee hits. This is fine, but it makes it difficult when searching for the original.

I wonder if Celine Gentry chose her name because of that other artist. . .what's her name? Anyway, originality aside, the sheer number of choices forced me to abandon the idea of purchasing the song. Tragic, I know, and a sure sign that I'm getting old. Kids have unlimited patience for this type of thing. My clock is spinning like the one that flies by in the opening of the Twilight Zone, and I find no time to "preview" each selection of anything any more.

Saturday, which holds a fun shopping spree to the LARGEST Salvation Army in Orange County with the three kids. Wife is having lunch with friends today, so I get to take over all parental responsibilities, which usually means turning up all the stereos, yelling at each other above the din, and all of us eating like I did when my parents were out of town for the weekend. "Cheeto sandwich? Sure! Knock yourself out. What's that? Oh, the song? Dionne Warwick's version of Say a Little Prayer. What? The Glee version? No - but if you want to look for it, be my guest!"


Daily Links

  • Of course, LOTS of stuff going on with Posterous these days. Disturbing and getting worse by the moment. Posting more today so subscribe and keep updated - all your friends are!
  • HiFiCollector is breaking all-time attendance records - not sure why, maybe the new layout - but if you want to see for yourself, I won't hold ya back.
  • Do I know you? Do I want to? Ping me at Facebook and we'll see if we can be "friends."

No comments: